On Sunday I made a list:
1. My first-grade heart is unbroken.
2. Racism is an alphabet rulebook.
3. Bitten nails used to give me teeth.
4. Now my veins of empathy run my body.
5. Rent leaves my toes on the wire.
6. I sang out of pitch in a supermarket.
7. Our family photos flash blurred and focus.
8. My sister holds me in a prayer.
9. That offer was barely louder than a needle dropping.
10. The audience rustled, clapped, or laughed for their neighbors.
11. An office is another landscape for protest.
© Star Angelina Murray, October 29, 2017